Sunday, December 16, 2012

Local Legacy Fund

I, Jennifer A. Weigel, hereby declare that any funds generated from sales during my 10-year art anniversary LAST CHANCE! One Night Only! retrospective exhibition and performance on Saturday, December 8, 2012 shall be donated to the St. Louis Chapter of the Women’s Caucus for Art to help establish a Local Legacy Fund.

This fund shall continue the efforts of the national legacy campaign & initiative on a local level, promoting women artists of the greater St. Louis metro region and helping to ensure that we are recognized for our achievements; collected among local institutions, colleges and universities; and written into local history.  I will gladly work with the Board to help determine what this means and how these monies may be used towards this end.

I welcome anyone who wishes to donate more monies towards the establishment of this fund to join me in doing so.  Let’s make sure that our local legacies continue to live on so that we may continue to connect with, inspire, and promote women artists within our community as well as abroad.

----------------------------------------

Above is the announcement I delivered at the St. Louis Chapter of the Women's Caucus for Art holiday party this evening after considering what I wanted to do with the monies generated from sales from my LAST CHANCE! show.  Although selling my work was clearly part of the original intent (as evidenced by my flyer), I hadn't thought through the outcome of what I would do with the money since I was focused more on the logistics of the show itself and presumed I'd likely not sell anything anyway, preferring not to get my hopes up.

I know I could just keep the proceeds, but I have instead decided to use them to instill a sense of hope and bring some closure to the discourse that I raised.  By helping to create a legacy fund aimed at recognizing local talent, I hope that this need becomes better addressed and that, with time, some of the questions and concerns I posed in my show may thusly be resolved.

No comments:

Post a Comment